Protecting your brand is like protecting your high school reputation.
If one person says the wrong thing about you, then no one wants to talk to you… or use your brand.
Online, your brand is your reputation.
You need to protect it by constantly monitoring what people are saying about you.
That’s what Mention is for.
Mention provides you with the tools to track all of your social channels from one place.
But here’s the kicker: It’ll also enable you to simultaneously stalk your competitors in real time!
If you want a successful brand, being able to listen to what people say about you and your competitors is crucial.
Google Alerts is old news now that Mention has taken over.
What Is Mention?
Mention is a French-made brand that took off in 2012 as a web and social media monitoring platform. Now, over 650,000 companies use Mention to date.
The tool enables you to know exactly what people are saying about you online, with real-time alerts whenever your company name, competitors and products are mentioned anywhere on the web and social media platforms. It provides you with billions of sources of information in over 40 different languages.
Mention tracks the most relevant mentions available, and instantly reports the information back to you.
But, why is this important?
Businesses are quickly moving from physical to virtual platforms. Many of the world’s leading brands now primarily function online, including Facebook, Amazon and Netflix.
Because of this, it’s important that your brand stays connected and up-to-date with your customers and competitors.
Mention makes this easy. You can use it to view all of your alerts via Windows, Google Chrome extension, or through the iPhone and Android app store.
Mention Review: Monitor Your Brand the 21st Century Way
Before we delve in, here are some key features Mention offers to monitor your brand in real time:
- Alerts you to mentions of your brand name, keywords or competitors, via the Mention application or by email.
- Tracks mentions on multiple social media platforms.
- Generates detailed analytical reports on your brand mentions and competitor mentions.
- Connects you with relevant advocates and influencers to grow your brand reputation.
Create Reports and Analyze Your Competition
You can create many different types of reports with Mention.
Listening reports are great when you want a breakdown of where your brand or your competitors have been mentioned.
The report allows you to customize what dates you’d like to analyze, and gives you an idea of blind spots that your brand needs to fish out in order to beat your competitors.
The listening report includes:
- Volume: Total number of mentions by date.
- Top locations: Which countries mentioned you the most.
- Sentiment: Whether the mention was positive, negative or neutral.
- Sources: What platforms you were most mentioned on.
- Hours: Amount of hours you were mentioned in a day.
- Reach: Measure of potential audience size.
- Influence: Who/how you affect people’s thinking online.
- Topics: What the discussion was about when you were mentioned.
- Languages: In what language you were mentioned.
- Weekdays: Days of the week you were most mentioned the most.
This report is essential to your business if you want to compare your brand and get an edge over your competitors. Mention will take the selected brands, and analyze all mentions based on whichever dates you choose.
You can also easily compare your competitors to one another. The competitive report maintains all the same features as the listening report, but gives you a detailed analysis on your brand’s and competitors’ mentions.
The mentions report provides you with the top mentions of your brand and competitors.
With this report, you can compare side by side with your competitors on who mentions you the most online. The report also shows a snippet of what the mention is about and who it came from.
The mentions report includes:
- Influencer score: Indicates how much authority a source has on the web.
- Reach: Measure of potential audience size.
It also lets you take a number of actions for each mention from within the report, including the option to favorite, archive, share, delete and tag mentions.
A custom report allows you to build your own report using settings such as:
- Alert selection: Which brands you’d like to receive alerts on.
- Segmentation: Types of custom insights you’d like to receive.
- Data visualization: How you’d like to see the information displayed; as a line chart, bar chart or number.
- Module size: The display size of your report.
You can create filters for time period, source, country, sentiments, tags and more, and you can change the custom edits in your report module whenever you like.
Social Account Analytics Report
To generate this report, you’ll need to be logged in to multiple social accounts such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
From there, you can obtain reports that provide a breakdown of how your brand evolves and influences others. This report includes:
- Impressions: Number of times a post from your social account is displayed.
- Engagement: Number of people who perform actions on your social account.
- Account likes: Number of people who like your account.
- Likes evolution: Users who liked or unliked your page.
- Age: How old your viewers are.
- Gender: What gender your viewers are.
- Top country: Which countries view your page the most.
Mention lets you download or create a public link to all reports, which allows easy access and convenience to all users.
You can also schedule your reports through Mention.
The feature allows you to select the frequency, recipients and format for your future reports. You can choose from daily, weekly or monthly automated reports, to help you to stay on top of future mentions and analytics.
Discover and Connect with Influencers
Influencer marketing is an important and powerful strategy for improving your brand and crushing your competitors. It helps your brand to boost awareness, reach new audiences, improve your reputation and connect with advocates.
Mention lets you find, reach out to and track relevant influencers in your niche.
This feature gives you a rundown of your brand’s influencers via social media platforms. With the influencer tables, you can easily sift through your top influencers with Mention’s detailed filters.
Influencer tables show influencer information such as:
- Influence level
And in order to keep this data handy, Mention gives you the option of exporting all your influencer tables to Excel or CSV.
If you’re interested in connecting with your influencers, this feature may be of benefit. You can search for different topics, select between Twitter influencers or Instagram influencers, and the database will provide you with a list of influencer profiles.
When you click on each profile, you’ll see general information about the influencer such as their posts, interests and recent activity.
This feature is perfect when trying to market your brand to gain allies, and create long-lasting connections.
Get Custom Insights
Custom insights are important in monitoring your brand and competitors. Because what’s a better way to keep your brand sharp, and stay ahead of your competitors?
Mention provides heaps of custom insights to its users, including:
- Spread: Links every online conversation to its original mention and tracks key moments in your campaign.
- Sources: See which social accounts are most effective in promoting and spreading your brand.
- Languages: See top languages for your mentions.
- Top locations: See in which countries your mentions are frequently used.
- Days of activity: See on which days your brand is mentioned the most.
- Sentiment: Focus on neutral, positive or negative comments.
- Reach: Measure who and how large your audience is.
- Influence: Analyze your top influencers.
- Topics: Understand topics that are most mentioned about your brand.
- Gender: See the male/female gender ratio of who mentions you.
- Tags: Spot tags.
- Time of activity: See the times of the day your brand was mentioned.
Pros and Cons of Mention
- Simple, user-friendly interface. The simplicity of the Mention interface makes it easy for clients to use, even if they’re not familiar with the application.
- Easy communication with influencers. Mention puts relevant influencers right in front of you, and gives you all the information you need to reach out to them.
- High-speed notifications. Mention alerts you within minutes of a mention and provides a continuous flow of mentions throughout the day.
- Mobile app available. If you’re constantly on the go, there’s both an iPhone and Android app available to quickly view all of your mentions and reports.
- There’s no free version available. Unlike Google Alerts, Mention doesn’t have a free version available to monitor your brand.
- Comprehensive data not downloadable. You’re only able to download a weekly report of the most recent data. Anything before that is history.
- Broad brand names bring in irrelevant mentions. If you have a common brand name, or it’s considered to be broad, the tool may likely show you mentions that have no relevancy to your actual brand.
- Doesn’t remove repetitive posts. Mention doesn’t filter out repeat posts on the front-end, which can make it tiresome to search through multiple mentions of the same content. You’ll have to do this to each post on your own.
- Short trial period. There’s a free 14-day trial available for new users, so that you can dabble around before you decide to buy it. This free trial isn’t as long as you get with other monitoring tools such as Hootsuite, which means you have less time to actually try out Mention before you have to purchase a plan.
Plans and Pricing
There are three plans available for your monitoring goals. Payment options are available monthly or yearly, and there’s a discount if you decide to pay yearly.
The Solo Plan costs $29 per month and is ideal for single users who’d like to monitor their brand. With this plan, you get two basic alerts, 3,000 mentions and one user.
The Starter Plan costs $99 per month and is suitable for small businesses who’d like to monitor their brand and their competitors. This plan gives you five basic alerts, 5,000 mentions and three users, plus some extra features including sentiment analysis and the influencers dashboard.
The Company Plan is custom designed for large companies and agencies. The cost is dependent on what you need included in the plan. You’ll also get unlimited users, custom mentions, historical data, automated reports, API access, account management and much more.
Try Mention for Yourself
Because Mention doesn’t offer a free version, you’ll want to sign up for the 14-day trial to get a feel of what the tool really offers.
Just request a demo, and a welcome notification will be sent to your email for further setup and verification.
If you’re serious about brand monitoring, you might find that Mention is everything you need.
Hold Up, We Have Something for You!
Ready to take your brand management the next level?
Want to see a real increase in keyword rankings, organic traffic, referrals and sales?
You need a tool that goes beyond brand mentions and dives deep into your backlinks—online mentions where a link to your website has been embedded.
Backlinks are a powerful SEO factor and are very closely tied to brand management.
We’re here to give you a hand with this.
That’s a whole month of valuable, actionable insights on your keyword rankings, SEO metrics, backlinks and competitor SEO strategies.